Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mommy's Girl? Or Daddy's?

One of the first things I ask my seniors is if they know where they want to go to college. Of course some of them do and some don't but, living in a small community definitely creates an overwhelming urge in these teens. Even if they don't know exactly where they want the go the majority of them can hear the city calling their names. Ahhhhh, the lure of the big city! It's what most kids in small towns dream about, well that and world peace of course! ;)

The city: where everything you could ever want is at your fingertips. Shopping, restaurants, culture, night life...oh, and college of course. :) So they head off to school after growing up and graduating with the same 15 or so kids that they started kindergarten with and they step into their first lecture class of 300 students. I mean, that's bigger than the towns that some of these kids live in! It can be overwhelming at times and I think several college freshmen from small towns realize there is 1 thing that the big city doesn't have...their parents.

I saw myself through my lens last weekend. A sweet senior who is the baby of her family and is a self-proclaimed mommy's AND daddy's girl. Even though she's not exactly sure where she wants to go to school she already knows she doesn't want to get too far from home. Smart girl. The shorter the trip the more often she can come home with laundry and a request for gas money! I mean what dad could resist these big brown eyes!? Congratulations Adrienne! Enjoy your senior year. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment